BLACKPINK is a four-membered KPOP girl group under YG Entertainment, and the members are Jennie, Jisoo, Rosé, and Lisa. They are the first girl group to debut after 2NE1 in 6 years. They debuted on August 8, 2016 with their first single EP, Square One, with the songs “Whistle” and “Boombayah.” “Whistle” hit no. 1 in Korea and “Boombayah” hit no.1 on Billboard World Digital Songs chart. During that year, they were awarded as New Artist of the Year at the 31st Golden Disc Awards and at the 26th Seoul Music Awards. And they are the first female Korean artist to hit four no. 1 singles on Billboard World Digital Songs chart.
- Their first lead single “Whistle” reached no.1 in the digital, download, streaming, and mobile charts on Gaon Music Chart in August 2016, and also, it hit no.1 on the weekly, popularity, music video, and KPOP music video charts on China’s largest music-streaming website, QQ Music.
- Their second lead single “Boombayah” became the most viewed debut music video amongst Korean singer, and hit no.1 on Billboard World Digital Songs chart.
- On August 14, 2016, they performed their debut stage on SBS’ Inkigayo. Just after 13 days after their debut, they won first place on Inkigayo being the very first girl group to get a first place after such a short period of time.
- On November 1, they released their second single EP, Square Two, with “Playing With Fire” and “Stay”. “Playing With Fire” became their second no.1 on the Billboard World Digital Songs chart while topping at no.3 in Korea, and “Stay” rose at no.10 in Korea.
- On January 2017, BLACKPINK came up with their fan club name, “BLINK” portmanteau of “BLACK” and “PINK”.
- On June 22, they released their digital single, “As If It’s Your Last”, and it became their third no.1 on the Billboard World Digital Songs chart. The music video for this song became the most liked music video on YouTube from a Korean girl group.
- On July 20, they had their showcase at Nippon Budokan in Tokyo, and more than 14,000 fans were there.
- On August 30, they made their Japanese debut and released their Japanese EP, BLACKPINK.
- On March 2018, BLACKPINK released their repackaged EP, Re:BLACKPINK, which consisted of all of their previous songs.
- On May 23, they revealed their official light stick called “Bi-Ping-Bong”.
- On June 15, they released their debut EP, Square Up. Their single, “Ddu-Du Ddu-Du” hit no. 17 on the official trending chart in the United Kingdom, and it hit no.55 on the Billboard Hot 100. Also it became their fourth time hitting no.1 on Billboard World Digital Songs chart. The EP also hit no. 40 on the Billboard 200. Within 24 hours, the music video viewed a total of 36.2 million views, being the most viewed music video for any Korean artists in less than 24 hours.
- On July 7, they added an additional date for December 24 to their Japan concert “BLACKPINK Arena Tour 2018” as a Christmas gift for their “BLINKs”.
- They had their first Japan tour, “BLACKPINK Arena Tour 2018” on July 24th and 25th in Osaka.
- They announced on September 12 that they will be holding their first concert in Seoul, titled “In Your Area”, at Olympic Gymnastics Arena on November 10th and 11th.
- On October 2018, they signed to Interscope Records, and they will be represented by Interscope and Universal Music Group outside of Asia.
- On October 19, BLACKPINK and Dua Lipa released a bilingual collaboration of LIPA’s “Kiss and Make Up”.
- Earlier in October, YG’s founder, Yang Hyunsuk, announced that all of the girls will go solo on the side, Jennie kicking it off first.
- Jennie goes solo on November 12, 2018, and she performs her solo debut stage at their Seoul concert.
PLAN FOR 2019
BLACKPINK announced that they will go on their 2019 World Tour, “In Your Area”. They kicked it off in Seoul on November 11th and 12th, and as of right now, 7 other cities are announced.
WHERE TO FIND THEM:
- Personal accounts: